THYROID – “The master gland”
People mostly wonder that why we are putting on weight even though we are eating less or perfectly right food with the help of sources available and still we are not losing weight. It is very important for everyone to understand what is thyroid and how it affects your body and why diet for thyroid is important for this.
Thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland in the front of the neck. In one way or another, your thyroid is connected to the way every organ in your body functions. it plays important roles to regulate numerous metabolic processes throughout the body i.e. it regulates your metabolism, temperature, heartbeat and more. It works as a silent workhorse mostly. Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are the two conditions that affect how an improperly working thyroid might cause symptoms throughout the body.
HYPOTHYROIDISM An underactive thyroid—when the gland fails to produce enough thyroid hormone (TH).
Some common causes of hyperthyroidism include:
- Graves’ Disease- Graves’ disease, which is caused by a generalized overactivity of the thyroid gland, is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. In this condition, the thyroid gland usually is renegade, which means it has lost the ability to respond to the normal control by the pituitary gland via TSH.
- Functioning adenoma and toxic multinodular goiter (TMNG)
- Excessive intake of thyroid hormones
- Abnormal secretion of TSH
- Thyroiditis (inflammation of the thyroid gland)
- Excessive iodine intake